12826847

How do you prove the ownership of a car?

Customer Question

`How do you prove the ownership of a car?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was bought a car a few months ago by my partner at the time. It was a present from him to me and used it to transport me and his baby son. He has broken up with me and wants this car back. The cars log book is in my name, the invoice which has been receipted by the garage is in my name but he has paid for it with his bank card. Who is the rightfull owner?

Well, that would be decided by a court if he sues.

You have the right to possession for the moment as the registered keeper.

However, I can tell that if he paid for the car and you were not married then its quite unlikely that a court would accept that this was a gift without any agreement to repay of any kind.

Obviously families by cars for family use all the time but since you are no longer a family the court would probably order sale and the proceeds split between you.

You seem to be saying though that it was for your sole use and I'm afraid that its not very likely a court would accept that unless, of course, there was an agreement to repay the cost in which case that would be the direction.

He may or may not sue but if he does then he could well win I'm afraid.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/