tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I purchased a large settee at the Ideal Home Show. The settee

I purchased a large settee at the Ideal Home Show. The settee is a demonstration model
The cost was £4300. I paid a deposit of £4000
When I got home I realised it would not fit in the room.
I purchased this at 5pm yesterday ( Sunday )and measured as soon as I got home. I intend to ring them this morning ( Monday)when the show re-opens.
Can I ask for my money back?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi, thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX can answer this for you.

tdlawyer :

Did the contract of sale contain any right to cancel?

Customer:

No It simply says that it is up to me to check the dimensions before I sign. I thought it would be ok but it was not

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then there is no legal right to cancel. You only get a statutory right to cancel when you enter into a contract via some "distance communication" such as by email or telephone. If you enter an agreement face-to-face, then there is no legal right to cancel unless it's agreed in the contract itself. I'm sorry that's not what you wanted to hear.

Customer:

Do I not have a cooling off period?

tdlawyer :

If they had told you that you had the right to cancel at the show, that would have been different.