LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

We have a leasehold house, we wish to purchase the Freehold,

We have a leasehold house, we wish to purchase the Freehold, a price is agreed, we have a form to fill in, do we need to use a solicitor. The form suggests it is not necessary.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience I will try to help you with this. What is the form caleld does it have an official title and or number?

Customer:

It just has "Freehold application form" at the top, the house is in a small private estate where almost every house has now purchased the Freehold from the management company. The residents association has recently purchased the land the houses stand on and our house is going to be one of the last purchased from the freeholder.

Customer:

I cannot see the last post

Customer:

Hello, I'm not seeing any posts from you or getting any emails

LondonlawyerJ :

Just working on it now. Like most of the law experts on this site I am a working lawyer and need to work these answers around meetings and court hearings etc.

Customer:

Oh I'm sorry, I thought I may be doing something wrong

LondonlawyerJ :

Obviously enfranchising your lease is a big legal step and it is important to get it done right. You say that you live on a small private estate and the resident’s association (of which I assume you are a member) has purchased the freehold. I imagine that there has been a fair bit of correspondence from them about his and maybe you should review those letters to see if that helps you come to a decision. You are now wanting to buy your freehold from them. Presumably the resident’s association have used solicitors in this process. The form you have been given to sign appears to not be a standardised form from HMSO or it wold have a reference number and a form number. It is therefore probably a tailor made form for your estate. I cannot answer definitively whether you should get legal advice on the form without seeing it and that is not really appropriate in this forum.

Is there anyone on your estate who has obtained their freehold whom you are on good terms with and whose judgement you trust. You could always ask them what they did and how it has worked out for them. If there have been no problems for people enfranchising with the form then y mght think you can do so too.

However it is always safest to get legal advice on any major legal step like this unless you are sure you do not need it. If you decide to instruct a solicitor I expect it could be dealt with in a single meeting and would cost between£200-500 depending on location and the self-regard of the solicitor.

Customer:

OK, I thought about this myself and I will ask one of the residents, Thanks

.