Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My Mother was in a care home for 3 years till she passed away

My Mother was in a care home for 3 years till she passed away last year , she was paying the full cost as she owned her own home , the council put a deferred charge on the house and it was paid off out of her estate when she passed away. She had to go into the home as she had a severe stroke all she could do for herself was eat with one hand , she couldn't walk or speak even though we managed to communicate with her in our own way, we were told she was borderline between care and nursing , now I have recently seen an ad in the local newspaper saying if a relative went to a nursing home due to illness that I can claim the money for the care home fees, back and that the Government will soon set a deadline for claiming it , is this correct and would I be able to claim for my mother's fees
thank you
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask from what you say were her needs primarily medical related as opposed to standard care needs please?

Customer:

She was on some medication , but probably more in the line of care help ie dressing, toiletry , bathing ,she was severly disabled by the stroke ,

Joshua :

Thank you. may I ask whether the care was provided in England or Wales please and the dates the care was provided between?

Customer:

It was roughly between 2009 - 20013 and in Wales

Joshua :

My apologies for the delay in reverting to you. Unfortuately the process for reclaiming NHS funded care is different in Wales to Englans and I have no specific expertise for the process in Wales. I would be limited to general information which I do not think will be very helpful. With your permission I will opt out in case one of my colleagues has more expertise?

Joshua :

In case no one can assist you may wish to contact high James solicitors who have developed a reasonable practice in care fee reclaims.
http://www.hughjames.com/services/services_to_individuals/nursing_care_fees_recovery.aspx

Joshua :

May I proceed as above?