75100385

my husband is in reading starting a new job and he is in a

my husband is in reading starting a new job and he is in a house share which he has signed for 6 months but with a 6 weeks notice to leave the only problem is the lady who owns the house is making it impossible to stay there she is blaming him for leaving lights on he cant cook in the kitchen without her commenting on something she's not happy when he uses the living room she is only happy when he is in his room, she wont speak to him when he has tried to sort things out and his room is freezing because she wont let him put the heating on. He pays £550 a month bills included he is due to pay another month next week he is stressed and worried she could just throw him out, is there any way he can get out of this contract.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Is there any written agreement please?

Customer:

yes he has signed a contract.

Alex Watts :

And what does it say about the kitchen, living room, coming in late etc, if anything?

Customer:

it says he has full access to the house

Alex Watts :

If that is the case then he can't be restricted

Alex Watts :

If he is then he could sue for breach of contract and seek a claim for loss and damage

Customer:

she has not said he cant use it just makes him feel uncomfortable when he does.

Alex Watts :

Ok - well she can't stop him

Alex Watts :

He has 2 choices

Alex Watts :

1) Leave

Alex Watts :

2) Stay but stand his ground and point out he is not in breach of any of the terms of the contract

Customer:

he tries to speak to her and be pleasant but she just walks pass him not saying a word, what should he do about the rent due next month.

Alex Watts :

But the Landlord can't do anything - he is not in breach

Alex Watts :

He should put it in writing and leave it for the Landlord

Alex Watts :

Customer:

she is the landlord can she do anything if he leaves before 6 weeks notice.

Alex Watts :

No

Alex Watts :

If she tries then he can sue for breach of contract

Customer:

how does he prove she is in breach of contract when there is only

Customer:

them two there

Alex Watts :

That's a matter of evidence. But the Landlord can't do anything whilst there is an agreement

Customer:

so he could leave at the end of the week and she cant do anything about it.

Alex Watts :

No

Customer:

so what does he need to do now to leave.

Alex Watts :

He can if he wants to

Customer:

what does he need to put in the letter.

Alex Watts :

That he considers the harassment a breach of contract and he wants to leave

Customer:

ok thankyou your advice has been very helpful.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/