75100385

We are a company and our insurance broker quoted a premium

Customer Question

We are a company and our insurance broker quoted a premium last year with a £2000 broker discount. The premium was agreed to go ahead based on this quote and now the insurance broker have refused to honour this discount.
Where do we stand?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Did the broker put the original proposal in writing please?

JACUSTOMER-m48j83fv- :

Yes they did

Alex Watts :

Ok - have you paid the £2000 or how does that work?

JACUSTOMER-m48j83fv- :

the year 2012/13 we were given a £2000 broker discount which was deducted from our invoice and so did not overpay

Alex Watts :

ok

JACUSTOMER-m48j83fv- :

the year 2013/14 we were given the £2000 broker discount but this time it was not deducted from the invoice and we overlooked it and so we ended up paying the full amount. Now they are refusing to repay this.

Alex Watts :

I see.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

JACUSTOMER-m48j83fv- :

So you agree, we do have a case to go to court?

Alex Watts :

Yes I would agree

Alex Watts :

Especially as you said you have evidence of the agreement

JACUSTOMER-m48j83fv- :

Is this because we had the quote in writing? What about the interest charges, they invoiced too much so we overpaid on interest.

Alex Watts :

Yes.

Alex Watts :

Dont worry about interest, the value is so low

Alex Watts :

The disputed sum is £2000 - concentrate on that and don't be lose sight of this

JACUSTOMER-m48j83fv- :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you today please?