75100385

I have a tenancy agreement signed 27.01.14 for moving in. It

I have a tenancy agreement signed 27.01.14 for moving in. It is now going to be 04.04.14 as the previous tenant will be leaving. Am i legally obligated to move in now after waiting so long and since found accommodation. I have not paid any monies to date. Your help would be appreciated.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you signed the contract please?

Customer:

Yes

Alex Watts :

Why is the date changing please?

Customer:

There is a previous tenant still there.

Alex Watts :

Ok - then the Landlord is in breach of contract

Alex Watts :

So yes you can cancel the contract

Alex Watts :

The Landlord is not able to comply with it (27/1/14)

Alex Watts :

So no, you dont have to follow it through

Customer:

Am i not under any legal obligation then.

Alex Watts :

No

Alex Watts :

The Landlord can't complete the contract

Alex Watts :

Its now March and are still not in!

Alex Watts :

Customer:

So therefore as i have not paid any money, he could not redate the contract unless i agree to do so. As i have now found further accomadtion.

Alex Watts :

Yes you are not bound

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

I am worried that he could persue me further.

Alex Watts :

The Landlord has no basis

Alex Watts :

He is in breach of contract

Customer:

So i can understand fully the landlord is in breach of contract since the room was not available on the agreed date of 27.01.14

Alex Watts :

Yes

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

Yes

Customer:

Ok originally it was a three way share and two of my friends moved in on the 27.01.14 but the third room was not ready for me so iam wont be liable then.

Alex Watts :

Yes

Alex Watts :

You are not liable

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Customer:

Yes thank you very much for your help. If for any reason the landlord comes back to me will i be able to contact you for further help.

Alex Watts :

Of course

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

Thank you for your valued time and assistance on this matter.

Customer:

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

Excellent service thank you. Feeling relaxed now.