12826847

The other night I was speaking to this male in his early 30s

Customer Question

The other night I was speaking to this male in his early 30s on an application on my smart phone (online). He lived nearby me and he kept stating things that made him out to be a paedophile. I was quite angry and he said he had illegal content on his computer (re: children). I was in the process of arranging to meet him as I was going to call the police once I knew who he was and had him in my presence. I was obviously making out that I was interested in this. I decided not to bother in the end. The next day I was worried how this may have looked to an external observer. Could I get into any trouble with the law regarding what I said to this man? I must admit I'd usually just ignore someone like this, but I had had a few drinks and I felt something should be done. I never met this person. I'm a very conscientious person and I was a bit daft not realising how this may have made me look. Need some advice, thanks

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have I done anything illegal by talking to this person and arranging to meet them (i didnt in the end as i realised it would look dodgy). I was going to get evidence on the person and call the police. Bit daft i know but i was drunk
Is there any reason you think this might be against the law?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
On the face of it, I can see no offence.

You have done no more than arrange to meet a person and not attend which is not against the law.

The fact that he may have committed offences is another matter unless, of course, you arranged to meet him in order to commit offences yourself although even then a mere arrangement to meet is probably not sufficient to amount to an attempt in law.

In any event, you withdrew from any attempt that was considered so there is no offence on the facts you mention.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/