LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My wife was knocked over by a car on 14th March. She was standing

Customer Question

My wife was knocked over by a car on 14th March. She was standing in the car park of a retirement home in Devizes when she was hit violently by a reversing car. After consultation with her GP, my wife was X-rayed, and then examined by a reputable osteopath. My wife is 70 years old and suffers from scoliosis of the spine, a state which has been exacerbated by the accident; she is in constant pain from the impact but nothing was broken, fortunately, although she has suffered some displacement in her knees and spine and some nerve damage (reported by the osteopath). The driver of the car admitted she had 'felt a bump' but had not seen my wife as she reversed. There were witnesses to the incident who signed statements.
The police never interviewed my wife and appeared to be proceeding to the traffic judiciary with only a statement by the car driver and nothing from my wife or the witnesses. They only grudgingly accepted that the witness statements,and a statement by my wife, could go to the traffic judiciary to join the statement by the car driver which was only made when she learned we had reported the incident to the police.
My wife is distressed over what appears to be normal procedure for the police. Is this normal procedure and is there anything else we can do/ should have done?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.