75100385

a letter arived through the post from the department dss or

a letter arived through the post from the department dss or another asociate department
asking for my social security no i gave it and am now worrying i shouldnt have please advise.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What did the letter state exactly and did they say why they needed your details?

Customer:

they said they needed the national insurance no to check details for a previous pent ion fund.

Customer:

i recive a hardship payment from this fund.

Ben Jones :

Hi, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. Why do you think you should not have given them this information?

Customer:

this fund was disadvantaged by a financial and a company being run on the pension fund.

Ben Jones :

I have looked into your query in more detail but do not think I have the answer to your question. I will therefore opt out and let other experts take this further if they can. Someone should respond shortly. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i am willing to wait it is worrying me and need to know how to protect myself.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

I do not quite understand your question, are they saying you have been overpaid?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my question summed up is could i now be subject to fraud i.e. mortgage and loan scams how can i protect myself.

Did you verify whether it was from the DWP?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it said it wasn't from the dap although in one of their envelopes they were an associated department.

Ok.

You should report this to the Police, the Information Commissioner (www.ico.gov.uk) and the DWP.

You can also take protection for identify theft by CIFAS:

http://www.cifas.org.uk/

For a small fee you can register your details which means if credit is taken out in your name, far stronger checks are made.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience