12826847

Hello I have had a renewal notification for my motorcycle insurance

Customer Question

Hello I have had a renewal notification for my motorcycle insurance , normally I would just pay the premium and forget about it but on shopping around online I found a substantially lower quote but I had not disclosed the fact I had insurance refused back in 1984 for a speeding offence on a provisional licence SP30 (36 mph in a 30 mph zone). Consequently after I made a claim my insurance was nullified for the reason of non disclosure of the speeding offence, which stupidly I thought at the time was not relevant as the speeding offence was on a motorcycle and not driving my car. However the insurance company at the time refused to pay the claim and also disclosed the information the offence would not have increased the annual premium paid in full. I ended working for 3 years paying of a loan to pay the damages caused and consequently a higher premium when insurance was renewed on my vehicle. Is this offence still being accountable for higher premiums today 30 years later also with a non claim record since both for motor vehicles and house insurance. Ultimately do I still have to disclose insurance refused on future insurance quotes.

John

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you think that you are not required to disclose this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reason being is the time elapsed, most convictions and serious motor offences is over the last five years why does this miss-information when I was a teenager still apply.

John

Insurance is known as a contract of “utmost good faith” and you are under a duty to disclose anything which may alter the insurance company attitude to risk and also answer anything honestly which they specifically asked.

The question is usually whether you have any convictions in the last five years for any motoring offence
and any accidents in the last five years.

It does not ask whether you have at any accidents which were not your fault and these must but still be disclosed.

It will generally ask whether you have any criminal convictions and it will ask whether you have ever had insurer and is declined or cancelled.

For insurance purposes it is important to note there is no timescale for this it says “have you ever” and if that is the case, you have to answer it honestly and as you have had insurance cancelled even though it was 1984.

However it is most unlikely to make any difference to the policy but it would make a difference if you did not disclose it and then subsequently made a claim because the insurance company could use this as non-disclosure as an excuse not to pay out.