tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I signed a purchase agreement with Ford motor dealers to buy

I signed a purchase agreement with Ford motor dealers to buy a brand new Focus car. I was to obtain finance for part of the cost via FordFinance. Within 14 days, I decided I did not want the car. After 17 days the garage told me to pick up the car and sign the finance agreements. I have paid £500 deposit but do not want the car. The agreement was dated by both parties inadvertently a year prior to the signing. Can I get out of this deal?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi, thanks for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name isXXXXX can help with this.

tdlawyer :

Were you at the dealership when you signed the agreement to buy the vehicle?

Customer:

YES

tdlawyer :

Okay, and does the agreement provide for a cancellation period at all?

Customer:

NO

tdlawyer :

OKay, then I understand why you ask about the wrong date being entered. However, this will not invalidate the agreement itself. And you would say the the purchase was dependent upon your obtaining and entering a finance agreement, right?

Customer:

YES, BUT BEFORE THE FINANCE OFFER WAS FORTHCOMING, THE GARAGE WENT AHEAD AND REGISTERED THE CAR IN MY NAME. I DID NOT ASK THEM TO DO THAT

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then whether you can walk away and lose only the deposit depends on whether you made the purchase dependant upon entering into finance.

tdlawyer :

The answer to this might be based on what you agreed orally, or the terms of the agreement that you signed with them.

Customer:

YES, THE AGREEMENT SPECIFIES AS SUCH...I get a discount on the overall cost if I use fordfinance

tdlawyer :

OKay, if this is the effect of the agreements, then you should be able to say that as you had not taken the finance in the end, then you are not liable to buy the car. You've obviously signed a contract, which I expect will require you to lose your deposit, but I assume you'd be happier if that was the total amount of your liability.

Customer:

yes, I1m prepared to swallow the deposit....the finance agreement gives me a 30 day cooling off period but the garage say that if I do not collect the car within 21 days, they will consult their Solicitors

tdlawyer :

Okay. Technically, the finance and the purchase are separate things, and this is why it's important to see whether the purchase was dependent upon you signing the finance.

Customer:

I understand.... many thanks

tdlawyer :

Is there anything more I can answer about this for you?

Customer:

no thanks

tdlawyer :

Are you happy with the way I've answered your question and if not, do let me know, and I will put it right for you?

Customer:

no, the agreement to purchase was dependent upon the fordfinance....I will argue that with the garage

tdlawyer :

Great stuff. Thank you!

Customer:

cheerio

tdlawyer :

Bye! Please remember to rate the answer for me before leaving.

Customer:

ok

tdlawyer :

Thanks - have a good evening.

Customer:

good service

Customer:

can`t raise the face!

tdlawyer :

Oh? What rating are you trying to give, and I'll ask them to put it through manually if it doesn't work.

Customer:

GOOD SERVICE

tdlawyer :

Okay- thank you, XXXXX XXXXX them to do it manually for you. Thanks for your time this evening!

tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 11 years experience of general practice.