12826847

Good morning, please can you tell me if a scooter with sorn

Customer Question

Good morning, please can you tell me if a scooter with sorn in our garage for a year needs insurance now?
Jean

Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Havent got an answer
Is there any reason why you think you might need insurance on this vehicle please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have had a summons for unpaid insurance, could there be another vehicle which has been given our registration illegally ?
Well, yes there is a huge market on cloned bikes in the UK that we would do better to concentrate upon than trivial domestic squabbles but there isn't any reason to presume that applies here.

Have you SORNed this bike?

This is an engine operated scooter with probably a 125 CC engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is sorned
Yes it is a scooter as you suggest
What do you think we should do now?
When did you SORN it?

Whats the date that insurance ran out please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't know at the moment, but can you tell me whether insurance is needed for a sorn vehicle kept in a garage?

Its not needed for a vehicle that is SORNed and kept off road.

I suspect the issue here though is the cross over. It used to be that you could avoid the need to insure by keeping a vehicle off road. That used to deal with situations where it wasn't worth SORNing a vehicle because the insurance would be resolved within a few days.

Now though you have to insure all vehicles on road or off unless they are SORNed or certain exceptions apply like being a commercial seller. That is called the principle of continuous insurance.

If there is any crossover where your insurance lapsed before the SORNing then that will be the issue here.

Of course, it is also possible that the DVLA are mistaken. It wouldn't be the first time.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you that is exactly what I needed to know, now I can deal with the situation.
Jean

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.