12826847

I have a fixed camera speeding court appearance for 38 mph

Customer Question

I have a fixed camera speeding court appearance for 38 mph in a 30 mph area to which I have pleaded Not Guiilty. Having reveiwed the circumstances, can I change the plea to Guilty at this late stage? the alleged affence was in JulyXXXXXcase is sceduled for July 2014.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Why did you initially plead not guilty please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ambient temperature the day before was in the low 80 degrees F, the time of the allegation was at 0920 the following day in the low 40 degrees F, overcat with low cloud and overcast, quite cold. My feeling at the time was wishing I had worn more clothing. Being re routed on unfamiliar re route was in facxt more or less Lost. the car in use was a open top without obstruction Three Mirrors and a Sat Nav. the sat nav did not indicate 38 mph. No Flash was emitted from the Camera, The camera is very obvious

Ok.

I presume its listed for trial in July?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The court hearing is scheduled for July 11 2014

Yes, for trial or first appearance? I think it must be trial because you would have pleaded not guilty by post.

In any event, you can change your plea at any time. You can plead guilty on the morning of trial.

It is a good idea to try to get this listed for a plea change before that. You will maximise your credit by pleading early although that really only reduces the fine that you will receive. The real saving is in court costs.

If you plead guilty on the morning of trial then the Crown will say the matter has been prepared for trial and probably seek about £300 in costs. I have to say that I have never seen any basis for that sum. I prosecute all the time and all speeding offences amount to is reading the facts on the original NIP and putting the evidence from a camera operator before the court. However, people are regularly ask to pay that sum.

If you can get the court to list it early then the costs will be higher than £85 but not £300.

They may refuse. Admin staff are unhelpful sometimes. If they do then send a letter to the Court setting out the fact that you want to plead guilty. At least then if you have to plead on the morning of court the fact that you tried to plead early will be something the court can consider.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks your response, I consider it adviseable to bear in mind the support and will make the decision in time, needless to say I amd 84 years and this is only my first since about 30 years, before Cameras. \i give you top marks!

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've tried previously to express my total satisfaction at youre response, however, atthe age of 84 years I am finding additional communicationsL difficult and could take opportunity to discuss further developments, should they arise, at a future time.

Regards and Thanks, Sran R.

No problem.

All the best.