Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Hi, I bought a car after checking with Vehicle Chacking Data

Hi, I bought a car after checking with Vehicle Chacking Data company. The result was ok. Finally the car appeared to be stolen and cloned with VIN and reg. numbers of different car. Police arrested my car and now I have no idea what to do next. Please advise.
Mikhail
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if you purchased the car privately or from a dealer please?

Joshua :

Which vehicle check company did you use?

Customer:

The car was purchased privatly and was checked with Motorlife Ltd. This company was recommended by Auto Trader magazine

Joshua :

Thanks. How much did you pay and have you been in contact with the seller - assuming they have not disappeared?

Joshua :

I can't find anything for Motorlife. Do they have a web address?

Customer:

I paid 16000 pounds and was in contacts with seller before the deal. But never get answer.

Joshua :

Did you meet at the sellers home address?

Customer:

No but some were in surroundings. The checking company is registered in Nottingham NG80 1ZZ

Joshua :

Does the checking company have a web address?

Customer:

I am trying to find it

Joshua :

Customer:

The address [email protected]

Joshua :

Sorry emails are automatically blocked for privacy. Could you omit everything up to and including the "@"

Customer:

autocheck.chtah.com

Joshua :

Thanks - is this the site you used? www.autocheck.co.uk

Customer:

I used AutoTrader site and they readdress me to company site. By the way I have found confirmation from AutoTrader that my surch is insured till 11.02.2016

Joshua :

Thank you. Would you be able to let me have the web address you used to carry out the search. I need this so I can check the insurance position.

Joshua :

Autotrader have this service: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/vehiclecheck

Joshua :

Would this be it?

Customer:

www.autotrader.co.uk then readdress to mentioned above site

Joshua :

I am really sorry but I am really struggling to be clear as to which service you used. I really need to be clear on the correct link or the information I give you could be wrong. Would you mind checking this link and telling me if this is the service you used? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/vehiclecheck

Customer:

can I attach here the email from autotrader with confirmations?

Joshua :

If it isn't could you give the link to the actual service you used - i.e. by returning to the page and copying and pasting the link here?

Customer:

• Mikhail, your vehicle is now registered for Vehicle Check insurance‏

VehicleChe​ck ([email protected])

26/02/2014

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

To:[email protected]

If you're having problems viewing this email, please click here

Autotrader

Insurance Registered

Autotrader
Full Size Image

Full Size Image

Dear Mikhail
Thank you for registering the following vehicle for the Vehicle Check Insurance.

FV13RXR

Make: AUDI Model: A4 SE TECHNIK TDI CVT

Your policy is valid until 11-FEB-2016

To view the report and policy terms & conditions please click here.

Thank you for using Vehicle Check.

The Autotrader Team

ValuationHistoryLoansInsurance

Powered by Experian

Please do not reply to this e-mail. This e-mail address is not monitored. If you would like to contact us, please send your e-mail to [email protected] check.co.uk

If you enable images or click on links when you view this email, we will use certain technologies to track how you respond to our email. We use this information for various reasons, including to understand what subjects are interesting to our readers.Read our email tracking PDF and read the digital tracking and anti-spam policy.

Vehicle Check is a brand of and is provided by Experian Ltd. Experian is an appointed representative of Motorfile Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Motorfile Ltd, Landmark House, Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, NG80 1ZZ.

Registered in England Company No.(NNN) NNN-NNNN VAT No. XXXXXXXXX

Full Size Image

Joshua :

Thank you. This appears to be http://www.autotrader.co.uk/vehiclecheck. That's great. Just a few more questions if you would:

Customer:

ok

Joshua :

1) Did you check the VIN number was the same as the VIN number on the vehicle check report?
2) Did you see the V5C (log book) and check the sellers identity correspondence with the V5C details by checking his driving licence of passport?
3) Did you check the model, colour and registration number corresponded with the report?
4) Was the car sold more than 30% cheaper than its typical market value to you?
5) Have you received a crime number from the police?

Customer:

1) Yes

Customer:

2) Yes I checked identity and address from sellers driving licence

Customer:

3) Yes

Customer:

1)Yes 2) Yes I checked ID with sellers Driving Licence 3) Yes 4) No 5) ISR number 549 dated 24/3/14 PC 2501 Bancroft PC449 Mason Herfordshire Constebulary

Joshua :

Thanks. You appear to have complied with all the conditions of the policy. Your claim will therefore turn on whether the VIN and registration number were cloned as you have been told. The insurance provided with the product does not cover a claim in respect of "3.8 any loss as the result of the insured vehicle bearing false Vehicle Registration Marks or Vehicle Identification Numbers;"

Joshua :

Accordingly you will need confirmation from the police that this is in deed what the seller did. If they did I fear the insurance will not pay out.If this wasn't the case you would appear to have a claim with merit and can consider a claim against the insurer

Joshua :

If the car did have a cloned VIN and registration, you will need to rely on the police to investigate. Often tracing the flow of money through the banks can be an effective method of tracing the criminal though if the seller was a member of a gang they will frequently have a false bank account to receive funds which can make this difficult.

Joshua :

If you believe you have the sellers actual details or some of them - i.e. you were not shown entirely false identification, you could consider retaining a tracing agent to try to locate him e.g. http://www.tracedebtors.com/

Joshua :

If you can locate the seller through the police or a tracing agent or your own efforts then you can apart from having him prosecuted, sue him for the return of your monies.

Customer:

It was a cash deal. Police officers showed me on the car how easy is to put VIN number under the glass and they took it our and open real VIN. The rest paperwork was certainly fakes done on professional level. The car was insured with routine insurers but they clearly refused to consider my claim and cancelled policy.

Joshua :

It appears yo have fallen victim to a sophisticated scam. Without insurance cover there is unfortunately no hard guarantee. One of the best ways to safeguard yourself beyond all of the step you took which you did entirely correctly is to insist on meeting the seller at his home address at which the car is registered against and confirm ownership of the property with the Land Registry. However this is of no use to you know. Given the degree of sophistication of the scam, it is likely you will need to rely on the police investigation in the hope they will be able to trace the seller. Unfortunately as payment was made in cash this will be hampered. If they can be traced you will have the opportunity to reclaim monies paid however a brutal reality is that people who fall victim to such scams can be left out of pocket if the police investigation is unsuccessful.

Joshua :

Consider contacting the investigating officer to ask for updates on their progress.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

Thanks I've got your comments and gratefull for your time spent with me.

Joshua :

A pleasure. I am only sorry there is not a more positive answer I can provide you with. If considering a future purchase privately do consider insisting that you will only meet them at the address to which the car is registered and consider checking that the person who claims to live there is the owner of the property at HM Land Registry. This can be very useful because a house can't run away and is very difficult to fake. Fraudulent sellers will typically not want to meet you at home because it is the one element that is very very difficult to fake.

Joshua :

I hope the police turn up something for you and you manage to recover at least some of your monies.

Customer:

Thanks and best regards

Joshua :

And to you

Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice