Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Ive had trouble with RBS and Tesco. RBS Royal Bank of Scotland

I've had trouble with RBS and Tesco. RBS Royal Bank of Scotland handled Tesco credit cards. Some how RBS registered me as a credit card holder of Tesco card owing £350 not paid. I wrote to RBS saying not me not my debt. They asked for my passport to prove who I was i said no so the black mark was registered twice on my credit reference from RBS and once from Tesco. Now this has gone on for six years. Now they say they got it wrong and it was nothing to do with me and have offered £250 compensation that I think is insulting after being informed it was nothing to do with me.
Can these people be made to pay large amounts due to their misbehaviour.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask whether you have suffered any financial loss besides inconvenience as a result of their actions please?

Customer:

Not directly but being self employed in these difficult times I've had to use saving and that does not tend to have the fiscal restrains a bank loan would have. Also the huge embarrassment when my own business bank refused me a credit card for that account only a few month back. Obviously, I'm not a lawyer but if someone "knowingly" writes up a bad debt against another person surely this must be fraud. Why should bankers get different treatment under the same law?

Joshua :

Joshua :

Fro what you say you have evidence that you provided the institutions in question with information that the information they had recorded was wrong - i.e. you still have the relevant correspondence?

Customer:

Yes, I wrote directly to the Chairman of RBS after countless phone calls and received a letter back from Jeffrey Hartley head of group customer relation Tesco bank Edinburgh. Tesco confirmed the matter but said they needed my passport and driving license but know way was I going to hand them over because of what I imagined could be done whilst fraud was taking place at RBS/Tesco. They have acted outrageously by just picking my name out of a telephone book or alike and sticking it on me.

Joshua :

Thank you. Do you still have copies of the above correspondence?

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

Yes

Joshua :

Thanks. Finally have you previous made a formal complaint to the banks complaints department to which you have received a response from the bank treating your letter as a complaint under their formal complaints procedure?

Customer:

No, my latest was to the financial ombudsman and Tesco offer £250 on March 17th 2014 in my view a complete insult. Is it any wonder they behave so badly if all they have to pay is peanuts. They should be fined hundreds of thousands and then they wouldn't do it!!! Bring on American justice put the people first not the bankers bonuses. "yeah"

Joshua :

Thanks. You have a claim against the bank on the basis of the negligence in recording an incorrect credit marker on your file for a) any financial detriment you suffered (e.g. lost interest or higher credit charges etc) and 2) inconvenience suffered.

Joshua :

If you are not satisfied with the offer from the bank which is understandable you can reject their offer and request from the banks something called a "deadlock" letter which is a letter providing that you can the bank cannot agree on a resolution to your dispute.

Joshua :

From there you can refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman which has the power to independently investigate the banks conduct and award compensation where it finds fault.

Joshua :

There is no charge for their service.

Joshua :

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Joshua :

The bank will be bound by the Ombudsman's decision though you are not so bound.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Customer:

No that seems fine. thanks.

Joshua :

If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.

Joshua :

I hope you are successful in obtaining a more meaningful level of compensation from the Ombudsman.

Customer:

I think we need to have a few bankers stood up against the wall so a clear message goes out to all of them.

Joshua :

I had better not comment but good luck with your claim.