12826847

Do I have to answer the door to the police if they come knocking?

Customer Question

Do I have to answer the door to the police if they come knocking? To clarify, the reason they knocked four times over two days was not because they wanted me. I knew it would be about a person who was not there, but I did not want to get involved. I was home alone. I need to know if my not answering was illegal and something I can be "done" for?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason why you think it might be illegal please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I expect I'll be asked questions at some point and I'm sure this will be one. I just don't really know what my rights are and can't find a definitive answer. Not sure why you asked me that to be honest.

You do not have to answer the door.

The difficulty is that if you do not though, and they have reasonable grounds to need to speak to a person or fear injury or danger, then they are free to break the door down which they will do I'm afraid.

So, there is no wrongdoing in not answering the door but if you do not then they will break down the door.