12826847

Is it a criminal offence to make a threat to kill someone to

Customer Question

Is it a criminal offence to make a threat to kill someone to a third party. Ie if I said to a friend I am going to kill joe blogs ?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been threatend by an individual who told me he is going to kill me. No witness to this. He has also told other people he is going to kill me. The people are willing to go to police. Has he commuted an offence by telling these people ?

If he has told you that he will kill you then that may amount to a threats to kill or more likely a S5 public order.

The fact that he has told others that he will kill you is not a threat to kill because that threat was not made directly to you and so could not be perceived by you as an immediate risk to your life. There might be some communication act offences arising from that though.

There are not many genuine threats to kill. Its an extremely high test. Mostly these things drop down into a public order act offence.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/