75100385

four years ago our daughter got married. There was an agreement

four years ago our daughter got married. There was an agreement that both parents would fund the wedding which cost £20,000.00. later on before the wedding the future mother and father in law backed out of their side of the deal. We as the brides family had to fund the whole of the wedding. We now find that our daughters husband has walked out and the is a pending divorce. Do we have any rights in asking for at least £10,000.00 back following a failed marriage?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Was the deal conditional upon anything please?

Customer:

There was nothing in writing or verbal. We were hoping that things would go well for them both as they were both stressed due to the his family retracting their offer of half the cost. Just before Christmas he decided to walk out and did not want any couple counselling. He said he was stressed due to a high pressure job (that he had been in for about 6 months)and that our daughter wasn't helping. We also understand that there was at that time another women involved despite him denying this, but our close friends informed us that there was as it happened to be their sons girlfriend.

Customer:

Please see above

Alex Watts :

Its bad news then. If nothing was conditional upon the marriage succeeding then you can not claim £10,000

Alex Watts :

The Judge, if it went to Court would ask if it was conditional.

Alex Watts :

If the answer is no, as you seem to suggest then there is no right to claim it back

Alex Watts :

If you went to Court, sadly without a conditional agreement you would lose

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I was concidering writing to him and asking for half the costs and didn't want to take this matter to court but just wanted to check out if I could legally ask for half the cost back. The house has just been sold and and contracts exchanged

Customer:

His salary is over £90,000.00 per year.

Alex Watts :

You could ask but you have no basis in law.

Alex Watts :

There is nothing stopping you asking - but legally there is no claim.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

Customer:

you have been most helpful and once the money from the house and the divorce is completed I will write to him now knowing there is nothing set in law. I will keep my fingers crossed that he can see where I am coming from(hopefully)Thank you regards Gill