13262538

I have my first grandson on a S G O which I got on 22/12/13

I have my first grandson on a S G O which I got on 22/12/13 and have put myself forward for my second grandson, who is in foster care. I have been been told by someone who works in the same building as social services that I will not be getting him. Now with the grandson I have the order status that my daughter can see her son once a week for an hour and 30 minutes in which I can decide when a where. Yesterday social came to see me and have made it clear that my daughter can't come to my house for this and it must be made at a mother and toddler group, which I don't feel is right as the judge left it up to me and I also got the impression that if I don't take myself out of the picture for my second grandson social will be trying to remove my first grandson. I had full backing from social with my S G O but this is a new team
What is their reasoning behind the contact request
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't say why as don't know, as the grandson I have has nothing to do with social anymore but I do know they don't want me to be close to my daughter.

Why have the children been removed from her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The first was removed because she move around lots and he was not always in safe placement. He lost lots of weight, plus her age of 15 . The second one was withher in mmother and baby foster placement and then moved to a other one, which went down hill fast. The foster parents said she was rough with the baby and she was removed

How old is your daughter now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She turned 18 on the 18/03/14

How old is the second child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He was born on the 8/01/14

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The baby was born on 08/01/14

My apologies for the delay
Are you willing to limit contact to a Mother and Toddler group?
When is your viability assessment meant to be completed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My assessment is meant to be completed in April, taking 3 months. I would go to group if it was needed but contact has been in my home and has been going very well and if I thought it was not I would make her leave or not let her in, so feel that's at time there is no concerns to move to a mother and toddlers group, which we did before and didn't work

Have Social Services said why this is a problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, just keep making it clear that they want my grandson I have to go to a mother and toddlers group for contact with my daughter. My daughter is now playing with her son on the floor and they both getting something out of it, so really don't think a group would be good as my daughter wouldn't play with her son at any group we tried

Was this the team dealing with the baby?
If so on what basis did they say that they could decide the issue of contact with the older child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Seem to have got a bit mix. The issue is I have the oldest child and they want to change the contact. With the second child, they have not let me see him at all but they have asked if the first child and second child can have contact but not me.

There does seem to be some blurring of the lines.
You have an SGO for the eldest child and on that basis as you so rightly say Social Services no longer have any involvement with him UNLESS they feel that you are placing the child at risk - so unless they can show that they have no right to comment.
The complication is that they are now once again involved with you by way of the Viability study and clearly feel that they can use this - however the simple fact is that they can only remove the child from your care I If they reach the Threshold criteria - which sounds unlikely in the extreme
It seems pointless bringing two young children together UNLESS there is a good chance of the child being placed with you
If they are NOT considering placing the child with you then they will need to justify this because there has been clear case law recently promoting the fact that family placement MUST be a priority - and I suspect that they will use this contact issue as the justification
On that basis I would take the matter higher!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.