13262538

I have had a letter from a solicitor for divorce proceedings

I have had a letter from a solicitor for divorce proceedings Iam being asked to sign a coffee soon statement and agree to pay my ex wife's legal costs of £1244 wich is inclusive of vat and disbursement. If I sign will I be asked for other things in the future.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Can you better explain the situation. What does a "coffee soon statement" mean? Have you read the terms of the agreement? If so, what does it state?

Customer: Sorry it was a confession statement for adultery. The letter says if I agree and sign and pay the costs the other person will not be named .my ex wife was given the other persons name. I do not have any agreement just the letter asking me to sign and send back.
Buachaill :

2. I will Opt out and let some other Expert with more knowledge of this type of statement take over.

Does your ex have any other evidence of the adultery - do you live with your new partner and do you have a child together?
Do you want a divorce and are you willing to contribute financially to the divorce?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live with my new partner. Yes I want the divorce. There is no proof other than me being honest with my ex wife. We have 2 children 17 and 13. I contribute monthly to my ex. I have no issues with contributing towards divorce but would find it difficult to pay for hers and a solicitor for me. My ex will be getting different benefits as well as working. We have said we want it amicable. Just don't want to sign something then find there is something hidden behind it
Would you be happy to offer half the costs rather than the full costs?
clare
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Your wife cannot use the Adultery ground unless you are willing to admit to it - so you have a certain amount of bargaining power
You should later the Statement so that it reads that you agree to a Divorce based on your adultery with an unnamed woman on or after xxx date and that this statement is made on the basis that a divorce petition will be issued and the costs claimed will be limited to the Court fees only
Make sure all of that is on there!
i hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What costs would I incur as we'll. I assume I would need a solicitor as we'll
You do not need to use a solicitor to deal with the actual divorce unless you wish to do so
You may need to do so to deal with the financial side of the divorce
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.