UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience

I contacted you previously with regard to an issue Im having

Customer Question

I contacted you previously with regard to an issue I’m having as a contractor:

I worked for 4 months, on a self employed basis for a company and sent them a contract with my T&C’s. One of the terms was the requirement for one months notice to be given on termination of contract by either party. However they terminated by contract ‘with immediate effect’ and refused to pay one months salary explaining they never signed the contract.

One of your lawyers Ben Johnson (18th Dec 2013) advised ‘law it is not necessary for a contract to be signed by both parties for it to be legally binding’ etc.

I have pursued the case through the small claims court but received this from them.

Claimant to file at court (etc) a reply to the Defense explaining her entitlement to claim as an individual against the Defendants as individuals given that the Defence is that the agreement was between two companies.

I am the only person in my company. I was interviewed and worked on a daily basis with the defendant, so my contract was given to them to sign on behalf of ‘the companies’. My wording was something like Lindsay Hopkins on behalf of company name.

How on the one hand can they say they never signed it so it’d null and void, but on the other claim a technicality with the contract to get off?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Did you file the claim in your name personally or the name of your limited company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In my name personally

That is the problem I am afraid.

The claim should have been brought in the name of your limited company, not you, as it is your limited company who was the contracting entity.

You should file an application notice to substitute your limited company name instead of your personal name as the claimant and you will need a signed consent from your limited company to the inclusion of its name as the claimant:

See here:

The application notice form is N244:

In your reply, you should state that you are making an application to substitute the name of the claimant and possibly send off all the paperwork together.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll do that, but did you consider the defence are saying two contradictory things at the same time?

1. That the contract was never signed and accepted.

2. That the contract was between two companies not the individuals.

The first ground may be challenged if you say that there was an implied contract even though not signed.

Second ground is valid which is why you need to substitute the company instead of you.

All the best