Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My wife and I are in our second marriage - She has three children,I

Customer Question

My wife and I are in our second marriage - She has three children,I have two. All our children are now in there forties. We have so arranged our affairs so that all our finances are now held jointly. But one question remains - when we both finally die,is it legally usual for all five children to inherit one-fifth of the total,or is it legally usual for her children to inherit one-third of half of it,as there are three of them, and my children to inherit one-half of half of it,as there is only two of them?

Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If you and your Wife have put in 50% each of the joint assets, it would be normal for 50% to go to your children and the other 50% to be divided equally between her 3 children. This way, each of your "own" assets pass back to your own children.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
AL