UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, my fiancée is American while I am French. We live in London,

Customer Question

Hi, my fiancée is American while I am French. We live in London, and myself I have been living and working there for 7 years (thus I could apply for UK citizenship). In which country (France, UK, USA?) should we get married knowing that: 1) I want to be able to live and work in the USA at some point and 2) I want to keep my wealth separated from my wife to be.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
I would suggest getting married in the US if you wish to live there eventually, also, pre nuptial agreements are recognised in all states in the US so you may get one drawn up before you get married.
You will need to apply for a K 1 visa to get married in the US and your fiancée will need to file a petition for alien fiancée using form I -129F
See here for further information
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance.html
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Aaa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are thus planning to get married in the USA (state of Delaware) next May. After the wedding we will come back to live in London for several years at least. We have had conflicting information on the K1 visa. Do we need one if we do not intent to remain in the USA after the wedding. Additionally, do we still need a pre-nup if we are going to live in the UK? How do I make sure that my assets are segregated in that case?
Please open a new question.