UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

As an employee working for a UK registered company working

As an employee working for a UK registered company working in Iraq, what are the legal requirements for a company regarding work visas for that employee
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Is there any provision in your contract that places an obligation on either party to obtain the visa?

Are you saying your employee should pay for it?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it's normally the companies policy to obtain the visa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The company is responsible to get the visas, it's just my visa runs out next month and I have been told that I have to stay in country till it's resolved and continue working, but the Iraqi government say this is illegal
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Which country's visa are you referring to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Iraq

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am afraid there is no one here who is able to advise on Iraq immigration law. Shall I ask for a refund to be made to you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not asking about Iraqi immigration law, I am inquiring if the UK registered company I work for, are legally required to supply me with correct work visa/permits to work as I have been sponsored by this company to work in Iraq and there is current visa issues.

My Visa runs out in May and the company have asked that I continue to work without a valid visa. They state that there would not be a problem, but in past incidents people without correct visas have be imprisoned, deported and blacklisted from re-entering Iraq for 5 years. I am asking would my company be liable if this were to happen to me?

Thank you for clarifying that but your question is governed by Iraq law, not UK law as you would be in potential breach of Iraqi immigration laws and under the jurisdiction of the Iraqi courts and law.

I would not risk continuing working beyond May without proper work visas irrespective of what your employer tells you as you point out there have been people being imprisoned, deported and blacklisted and this could be you if caught working without a valid work permit/visa.

Your company may reimburse you for money, but nobody could reimburse you for being imprisoned, deported and blacklisted by a country.

I would suggest that you insist on your employer obatining proper work visas for you , otherwise you inform them that you will stop working beyond May.

Hope this clarifies.
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience