tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

My house was broken into in August 13 the loss adjuster dealing

My house was broken into in August 13 the loss adjuster dealing with it is being really difficult . I sent all receipts that I had and estimates for items I had no receipts for . But for one item a watch I got a estimate from the shop I bought it from .they sent a letter to the shop asking them if a receipt would have been given at the time but the shop have not responded . Now they are asking me to contact the shop and ask them to respond in writing should they be doing this
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi, thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX can answer this for you.

tdlawyer :

There is nothing that stops them doing as they're doing, but it does seem to be going a step further than perhaps you would usually expect.

tdlawyer :

You do not have to engage with them in this way, although the more you're seen to cooperate, the more likely they are to agree to pay the claim. That said, even if they refuse, then you do have a right of recourse to the Financial Ombudsman Service (which is informal and free) and he can force the insurer to pay up on a claim.

tdlawyer :

Hello.

Customer: I'm going to phone the loss adjusters what would you advise me to say so that they stop playing games .
tdlawyer :

I think I would just say that you've given them sufficient explanation and made more than reasonable efforts already to ensure that they have what they need. That there is a line and they are seeming to cross it - if they wish to make further enquiries, they can, but you've done enough. Ask them for their final response now on whether the claim will be paid so that you can, if you wish to, refer their decision to the ombudsman. That should sort out a quick reply!

tdlawyer :

Does this answer your question, if there is anything else you wish to ask me, you can?

Customer: Thank you I will phone them on Monday
tdlawyer :

You're welcome. Please do remember to rate the answer for me.

Customer: Can I still contact you on Monday after I've phoned them
Customer: And should I say I'm in contact with a solicitor
tdlawyer :

You can contact me on here Monday too if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi tony should I say I'm in contact with a solicitor
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
You can say that if you want to, yes. But remember, I'm not advising you or acting for you! This is a pure information website.