UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Can the term of a Legal Charge be dated as an event rather

Customer Question

Can the term of a Legal Charge be dated as an event rather than an exact date - for instance the date of death of the person owing the money.

If so how is  the clause specifying the term of the charge worded. I am wanting to alter an existing legal charge on a house to only end at the date of death of my ex-partner who is living in it.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this is possible.

A Deed of variation would be required to vary the original legal charge by specifying that "The Charge and any security created under it will automatically determine or cease upon the death of xxxxxxxxname of person occupying the propertyxxxx"

The Deed should be then registered at the Land Registry.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for this, could you answer one more question about this:

If my ex wants to move, can I transfer the present Legal Charge + variation onto the new property or do I have to draw up a fresh charge?

You would need to draw up a new charge for the other property.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Finally, is there a way I can get hold of the official version of the present Legal Charge as held by the Land Registry. I have mislaid my copy in the move and the solicitor who drew it up has stopped her business.

I will click on the Rate to Finish anyway to close the question but I would appreciate an answer to this so that I can see what needs change.

You may try and contact the Land Registry to see if they are able to supply a copy of the legal chargehttp://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/faqs/how-can-i-get-copies-of-deedsAll the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. Is there a simple template online for drafting a new legal charge.

If I make up one using the template, of course I will ask legal advice before going forward with it, but writing it from a template should reduce the overall cost of the process.

I am afraid I am not aware of any online template.

Sorry