UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi. I have a mortgage with a X partener. He has not lived

Hi. I have a mortgage with a X partener. He has not lived here for 4 years. He does not pay towards the mortgage. He wants nothing to do with the house. I cannot take him off the mortgage, i would have to shut it down and then apply for a new one which i would not get on my earnings , even though i have been paying for 4 years. Is there anything i could do to have the house put in my name only? He is in agreement with this. thank you Kathryn
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You may not put the deeds in you name without the consent of the mortgagee but you may get him to sign a declaration of trust stating that he holds the legal interest in the property for you as the beneficiary.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, for him to sign a declaration of trust ,would that be done by a solicitor, or can we do it ourselves in the form of a letter with him signing it? If a solicitor needed what would that cost?

It is advisable to get a solicitor to draw it up to ensure it is properly,done, it should cost a few hundred pounds at most.

All the best