31090051

I need actuarial advice

Customer Question

I need actuarial advice
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Have you spoken to an actuary?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - but I am working today and will come back to you this evening. I have already sent a further explanation if you are able to check records. thank you

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Was the pension share placed into a fund in your name?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the pension fund was kept in my husbands name as part of a family ssas. the fund owns assets. when i divorced 9 years ago a pension sharing order was agreed. i was supposed to take out the money and invest it in my own right. i did not. i left it in the fund because i thought it would be a good place and it would grow well. but.... i never had a conversation with anyone about it - just left it. it was supposed to be taken out within 4 months. Last Jan i was 60. Last November I started to spk with my husband about the procedure to move the pension into my own fund and accordingly visited a financial adviser who has set up a deposit acct with Standard Life and await the transfer.

My ex husband asked his accountant to give a value to my part of the fund which was £200,000 at the time of the pension order. The accountant came up with a figure of approx 260.000, but when my ex hus spoke to the admins they contested the figure and are now in the process of re evaluing it. Barnett Waddingham. But.... they will not spk to me about any matter without the authority of the fund members. My ex husband is refusing to give authority. Do they have a legal obligation to spk with me about this as they have a considerable amount of my money.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
The pension share should have been effected at the time of the divorce.

They don't have to speak to you as the fund isn't yours. You should get representation as soon as possible as the situation is quite precarious as far as you are concerned. It may be that the pension sharing agreement is no longer enforceable because the regulations haven't been followed.

Your ex husband should sign a mandate allowing your representative to speak to the pension fund trustees.