29905560

my bosses keep asking for the mot and insurance policy for

my bosses keep asking for the mot and insurance policy for the car i drive its my husbands car and i am on his insurance to drive to and from work my husbandtells them no do they have any legal write to these documents as we both think they dont need them

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you use the car for business purposes at all, or is it just for commuting to/from work?

You have just caught me as I am going offline so if you happen to reply now I won't be able to provide my full response until the morning, thanks in advance

Customer:

when tomorow will you give me a answer i wont have to pay again will i?

Ben Jones :

Hi, no you do not have to pay again, but can you please let me know if you use the car for business purposes at all, or is it just for commuting to/from work?

Customer:

morning the car is just used to go to and from work it is not used inbetween

Ben Jones :

Thanks for getting back to me. If the car is not used for business, then the employer does not really have the right to ask for any documents associated with it. Had you been required to use it for business travel, such as to perform your duties, then the employer can certainly ask you for the documents because they would need that for their own insurance purposes and it would be a reasonable request. However, if you are only using it for commuting to and from work, then how you do that, what car you use, and whether it is legally MOT’s and insured is your business and not the employer’s. However, if there was a specific contractual clause that required you to provide these documents, or it was mentioned in some other workplace policy you are bound by, you would be expected to adhere to the employer’s request as it would be a contractual/policy requirement you had agreed to by accepting your contract or the policy.