UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I wanted to ask about obtaining permanent residence, I have

Customer Question

I wanted to ask about obtaining permanent residence, I have lived in the uk for almost 8years, and have worked before starting university where I was classified as a home student and I was unaware that I need health insurance as I was already registered with NHS. I want to know if my 4years of university will not count as qualifying me for permanent residence now?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

As a student and if you are an EEA national, you are required to have held comprehensive health insurance during that time or an EHIC for the entire duration, otherwise I am afraid your time will not be counted as a student.

Sorry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. Does it not matter that I started university before the policy come into force in 2011 as I had no knowledge that such a requirement was in place. I only have the EHIC for the past two years not for the full 4years as i didn't know I needed it and I have no ties with my birth Country (Slovakia) as I moved with my family to the UK from the US.

In that case you should be fine as you will have 6 years anyway without the 2 years.

All the best