UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Jewellery law: intellectual property

Customer Question

Is it illegal to sell handmade jewellery with charms purchased from another supplier? I am not misleading customer in any way and make it clear that I do not make the charms myself? Should I really be asking for permission from the manufacturer of the charm - even though I have purchased it from them??

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

No, it is not illegal to resell the jewellery and you are perfectly entitled to sell it on unless whomever you bought the jewellery from specified that you should not resell it.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

UksolicitorJA so if the person doesnt want me to resell and I do would this be illegal. ? What could be the consequences.

It would not be illegal as it is not a criminal offence but it would be breach of contract by you if it was a condition for the sale to you that you should not resell it.

The seller could sue you for breach of contract and get a court injunction stopping you from resell or claim damages from you.

Hope this helps