How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

I rent rooms in a house and am having problems with two lodgers

Customer Question

I rent rooms in a house and am having problems with two lodgers there. This morning I recieved a text at 5am from a lodger coming in from work to say house was in a terrible state beer bottles everywhere kitchen in disgusting state and worse still the big lounge window wide open facing onto street and back patio doors open. I left a note saying I was unhappy and wanted place cleaned up, as I was about to leave one of the lodgers who had been drinking came out of the bathroom I asked him to come down to speak to me but he become abusive and refused so I went upstairs to speak to him but he went into his room. I then knocked on the other tenants door who had been drinking he answered"yes" so I put my head around his door to speak to him, however, he too was abusive so I told him I wanted him out later today i feel this is the last straw and want both of the tenants out as they show no regard for the house, me or other tenants in the house.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thanks for your question. My name is Tony, I can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

Do you live in the same premises as the other lodgers?

JACUSTOMER-51wh35uc- :


tdlawyer :

Okay, so the people living there have their own tenancy agreements?

tdlawyer :

In this case, you can get the people to leave, but you must send a formal notice to them under the Housing Act 1988 as they willo have tenancies, most likely assured shorthold tenancies.

tdlawyer :

Most landlords would serve a s.21 notice, as there is no defence to this and they have to leave. However, it can only take effect after any minimum term that is in the agreement.

Related Law Questions