UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My employers have introduced an amendment to a declaration

My employers have introduced an amendment to a declaration of Interest policy which prohibits employes from alternative work in an area where the (Ambulance Service) service may or may not be operating in the future.

is this blanket objection to other employments legal or even fair?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Only a judge could conclusively determine whether or not this new policy is lawful or not. Such restrictions are restraint of trade and they need to be reasonable and necessary to protect the legitimate business interests of your employer to be enforceable e.g. they may prevent you from being in conflict of interest and duty to your employer or they may be there to ensure employees do not work beyond the 48 hours permitted by the Working Time Regulations unless the employee has opted out of them, or to prevent employee's doing substandard work as a result working the second job.

You may ask your employer fo an explanation as to why they have brought in a blanket ban and see where they are coming from and raise the issue of what they are trying to achieve with this new policy.

Hope this helps