12826847

I have a sister in law who i fell out with about 13 years ago

Customer Question

I have a sister in law who i fell out with about 13 years ago and since then she has made nasty comments to my children about me on and off. She has recently put comments and pictures on facebook which she has not put my name to but i just know they are to upset me. They have not upset me but i know they have upset my children who are now 13 and 16. Any advise would be helpful.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to know how i can to stop her from upsetting my kids

Well, the obviously way to achieve that is just to unfriend her on Facebook.

I'm afraid its quite unlikely that the police will be interested in this. Obviously I haven't seen the comments but they do have to justify how public money is being spent and investigating disputes on Facebook is not the best use to which it can be put.

Depending on the nature of the comments, you may be able to seek an injunction forcing her to remove them and to desist in future at your cost. That is expensive to do but it can be done if you can show that the comments are unlawful in some way.

If its just that she is being generally nasty and unpleasant then that is not an offence.

If she is making defamatory or harassing comments then that may be a civil wrong.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has never been my friend on facbook i found the comments by chance on one of her friends homepage detailsI who is a mental health nurse.I checked my sister in laws homepage because i do not trust her. What do you mean by a civil wrong?

Something that is actionable in civil law.

If she is not saying these things to you directly or to people who are likely to pass them on then the only claim is in defamation unless they actually amount to a malicious communication.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou so much x

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/