12826847

Ive read a clause in a will which gives "all the contents

Customer Question

I've read a clause in a will which gives "all the contents of my house" to a number of beneficiaries to be divided as they wish, and then "all the rest residue and remainder of my estate both real and personal" to a further group of beneficiaries. Does the term 'contents' have a particular legal meaning here, i.e. the whole of the actual property, or should it be read as in everyday use, i.e. the contents within the house rather than the house itself in the same way that a buildings insurance policy would typically distinguish?

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

House contents would be knifes forks plates and furniture bedding etc and not personal possessions.

Does that answer the question for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That tells me nothing i don't already know. My question was about a specific legal definition. Does the term 'contents of my house' include the actual house?
There is no legal definition of "house contents" as such and therefore it would be given it the ordinary normal day-to-day meaning.

House contents are not the house and I cannot see how "house contents" could ever be construed to include the house itself.

If it was meant to include the house it would say house and contents

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does a Lasting Power of Attorney give the Attorney authority to make or modify a will, or can this only be done by the donor themselves?

No one has the power to modify a will except the person who wrote the will, called the Testator (male) or Testatrix (female). That is a hard and fast rule.