12826847

We agreed to have our new glass in our conservatory and the

Customer Question

We agreed to have our new glass in our conservatory and the polycarbonate roof changed to a glass one a year ago. When the surveyor came he said it was not technically possible to change it to a glass one. This we accepted but the firm insisted on taking the matter further, sending numerous people round, doing stress tests etc. Eventually they said they would put us a completely new roof on with an automatic opening window. I pointed out at the time that we had electric roof blinds but they insisted more than once that this would not be a problem and they would be put back when the new roof was on. When they came to do this the blinds would not fit as the roof had been made a different shape and as a result they do not seem prepared to replace the blinds. They have also sent 3 electricians to connect the window and it is still not completed. They did go as far as to get the firm who supplied the blinds to measure up for new blinds (this was last December) and I know they have had a quote but despite numerous 'phone calls I am getting nowhere. I wrote to the Managing Director a month ago but have not received a reply. Can you advise me what I should be doing further

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Have they agreed to replace the blinds please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They assured me that the blinds would be replaced once the new roof was on.

They have agreed to do a job at a price and that job includes replacing the glass and reinstalling the blinds.

If however they have done it to a different specification and it is not possible to reinstall the blinds, they are responsible for putting blinds up and if that means them standing the cost of them, that is what they must do.

They are in breach of the provisions of the Supply of Goods and Services Act for failing to carry out the work with reasonable care and skill and within a reasonable period of time. If they do not complete the work in full to your satisfaction, the remedy is to get the job done yourself and then issue Small Claims Court proceedings against them (under £10,000 to be Small Claims Court) for whatever it cost to put the job right and to finish it off.

Here is the link to the Small Claims Court www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

However you do not want to be waiting much longer and therefore I would tell them that unless the job is finished by Friday, 11 April latest you will issue Small Claims Court proceedings against them for the cost of rectifying the job, without further notice.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/