Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hi, I paid for goods but they have not been delivered. It has

Hi, I paid for goods but they have not been delivered. It has been 10 months now. Everytime i call they say they will get it sorted but nothing happens, no refund or goods.
Can i get Police involved? Have they broken the law?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

What goods are you waiting for and how much did you pay? Did they give any reason for the delay?

Customer:

The goods are specialist amplifiers for sound systems. Cost was £ 4536 inc vat.

Customer:

They are a broker in second hand equipment.

Alex Hughes :

And just to confirm - have you actually paid this money?

Customer:

yes payment has been made in full but now they can't supply the goods and haven't given a refund

Alex Hughes :

And did you make the payment using a credit card?

Customer:

no it was by bank transfer

Alex Hughes :

OK. Just bear with me 2 minutes while I type an answer.

Alex Hughes :

You can report the matter to the police - the crime in question is fraud. You have incurred a loss and there may be some dishonesty involved. Even if the police decide this is not a crime their involvement might result in either a refund or the delivery of your goods.

Alex Hughes :

The other thing you should do is immediately send a letter of claim and give the company 14 days to refund the money or deliver the goods. If they do not respond you should issue a claim in the County Court using the Ministry of Justice Money Claim Online Service. I can help you with the process if you wish and have sent you a separate offer of additional services.

Alex Hughes :

The Money Claim is for a refund of the amount you paid plus interest, charges and court fees. If they do not pay you can enter judgment and send the bailiffs (or High Court Sheriffs) to enter and seize goods to the value of the debt.

Alex Hughes :

NO point using debt collectors. Apart from writing letters they have no power. Your only real options are 1/ report the matter to the police 2/ sue in the County Court.