12826847

ormer lodger has left a bed and sofa in my garage. I have

Customer Question

ormer lodger has left a bunk bed and sofa in my garage. I have previously given him notice to remove the items to no avail. I urgently need my garage space. What is the law regarding this?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How long has it been there please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since January 2014

how much notice did you give him please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 month

Thanks for the information.

I do completely see your position and I don’t blame you for not wanting to have these goods on your property.

This is an issue of the law of abandonment of goods. As a general rule you are under a duty to take reasonable care of the property of others if its left in your care. However, there are obviously limits to that.

Abandonment is very badly defined in law. Goods are generally abandoned if they have been left for a period of time that is not ‘reasonable’. What is reasonable depends on the facts of the case - in particular the value of the item either financial or emotional but also the inconvenience to you. A small item would be easier to store and so you would be required to keep it longer than a bulky one which clogs up your space.

Overall, even if this is an expensive bunk bed, I do think that one month is sufficient notice. You can only do what is reasonable. If he is refusing to engage with you or not giving you numbers upon which he can be reached then thats his problem. Send him a text saying that he has one week to collect his belongings and in default you will remove them. Then if he does not you would be justified in removing them.

Of course, it is likely that he will turn up at some point and start making threats about this. Then you will have to defend any action that he brings on the basis that the goods were abandoned.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/