29905560

How can I check the validity of a letter like this. I have

How can I check the validity of a letter like this. I have just given you a sense of how it
looks. There are a lot more words which I cant get on this window.and there is a custom
office and a Minister of finance stamps at the bottom both signed.
NIGERIA AIRPORT CUSTOM EXCISE
Muritala International Airport Road IATA
Ikeja, Lagos - Nigeria

LETTER FOR BENEFICIARY

This is bring to the notice of the seller/exporter that the Gold Edo African Mask worth
$145,000 item has been halted by Nigeria Airport Custom and would need a beneficiary
FORM M which should be filled and submitted by the seller to the Nigeria Airport Custom
order to facilitate the release of the goods.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Was this sent to you by email or in the post?

Customer:

Sent to me by email from Isabel mason her email address [email protected]

Ben Jones :

Could you please type the email address again, but ONLY include the text that appears after the @ symbol. This is because our system automatically blocks full email addresses so this is one way of being able to view and verify it.

Customer:

gmail.com

Ben Jones :

Has the letter asked you to do anything specific?

Customer:

yes The beneficiary shall pay aCISS Adminstrative charge of 13.8% of Free On Board (FOB) value of the item (s) which is

Customer:

$20,010.00 based on the average rate of exchange prevailing at the time of inpection

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Customer:

It also mentions at the bottom . payment thereof shall be done in cash and cleared and receipt issued by the designated bank before the counterpart original CRI for customs purpose is released to the importer/seller for clearance of goods

Customer:

Would it be possible to send your information by email as well. As I will need to give your answer to the sender of this

Ben Jones :

it will be posted on here, it is the only way we can do this I'm afraid

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

I notice that there is no date on this letter or on the offical stamps at the bottom of the letter

Ben Jones :

This is almost certainly a scam. Such types of scams, known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately extremely common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them.

The best way to spot these is by identifying specific 'red flags' that are almost always present. The following are the most common hallmarks of such scams and if they sound familiar then you can almost guarantee you are involved in a scam:

• Someone contacts you and promises you a large sum of money or items of high value. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned.

• Before you are able to receive what you are the promised, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam.

• Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith. The usual request is for it to be sent via Western Union, Moneygram, prepaid cards, etc. These are the favoured payment methods used by fraudsters as it is extremely difficult to trace them that way.

• Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new unsuspected issues.

• The request has not come from an official email address – this has come from a Gmail account, which anyone can open in just a couple of minutes – official correspondence such as this would never come from such email addresses and would instead come from an official Government address.

This is a typical advance fee fraud scam and I have seen these hundreds of times in the past, all with different stories behind them. DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not even communicate any further with them.

Ben Jones :

Did you get my answer above by any chance?

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this, before I go offline? Thanks

Customer:

Thank you Mr Jones for your answer to my last nights question,it has been a worth while £40 spent.

Ben Jones :

I am glad you contacted us early enough, I have dealt with many people who have only sought the validity of such correspondence after sending over their life savings

Customer:

Thanks for that. It`s a bit like winning on the lottery.

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome, all the best