UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

We have a tenants in common agreement. I put down £191,000

Customer Question

We have a tenants in common agreement. I put down £191,000 on our home, the agreement we signed states that should we part I will get the £191K back and we then share equally the proceeds. It also states that all outgoings and income from the Property are to be on a joint and equal basis. I am disabled and unable to work, he pays the mortgage interest only and the utility bills, I pay for food. We are thinking of separating, does this mean I have to pay half the mortgage and utility bills back to him?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The agreement states that all outgoings are to be on a joint and equal basis which would mean both of you share the outgoings 50/50.

If the mortgage interest and utility bills are 1000 pounds a month and the food is 400 pounds a month, the total would be 1400 pounds which would mean 700 pounds each.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought because I put in all the money and he didn't put in any money , that was my share. Sorry I didn't mean to put in the bad service rating. If that is the case Will I have to pay him back

It is fine, if you left the bad rating by mistake, you may change it to positive now.

Obviously, under your agreement, you are entitled to get your 191K back.

I am assuming you are not married to him. If you are married, the courts will have the final say over how the assets are to be split up.

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No we are not married

Thank you. In that case, you are entitled to your 191K as agreed.

Hope this clarifies.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so I don't have to pay half of the utility bills, mortgage payments back?

You need to do that as that was what was agreed. He will need to pay half of the food bills back to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

welcome