How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My 2 brothers and i have inherited my late mothers house valued

Resolved Question:

My 2 brothers and i have inherited my late mother's house valued at roughly £230,000. My youngest brother still lives in the house. 4 years ago my mother and brother took out a mortgage for £25,000 over 3 years to clear debts and paid equally. The Title deed now has them as Tenents in Common. My Mother's will states that my youngest brother gets half the house and my other brother and i get a quarter each. The rest of the estate is less than £5,000 max. I understand that my mother's wishes are not exact in law because she has mistakenly said half, quarter, quarter of the whole house when she can legaly only bequeth half of the house as a tennent in common. At present all brothers agree that our motheer meant the division of the whole house.

My main concern is that my youngest brother wouldd like to continue living in the house but as he is on a low income he will be unable to buy out our shares whether a quarter or an eight each. am i right in believing that if we sell the house now and spilt the proceeds as agreed we are all clear of inheritance tax and capital gains tax. However if our brother continues to live in the house he will be clear of Inheritance tax and capital gains tax whereas my other brother and i will be liable to capital gains tax on our share and any appreciation in value over time if we have the Title deeds changed to reflect our shares in the house. Kind regards,

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello Paul,

Yes, that is quite correct as your youngest brother will get personal home relief on the property whereas you and your other brother will not for capital gains purposes.

There is no inheritance tax payable as the value of the estate is below the IHT threshold.

However, your mother can only Will away her share of the property, if she owned it in equal shares with your brother, your mothers share would only be half of the property to be inherited as per her Will I..e half of her share to your youngest brother and quarter share of her half to you and your other brother.

Capital gains tax will only be payable if your inherited share in the property is sold, subject to any reliefs.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice