Received a from a detective at work stating that he was investigating

Customer Question

Received a from a detective at work stating that he was investigating my former employer for economic crime ,with the investigation focusing on my desk manager , and me as a former member of that team, the letter states that detective wants to speak to me as a matter of a priority and he wants me to go to a police station to speak to him about my time in the company . I worked there 4 years ago and i was a junior member of the desk.
Although i know i haven't done anything wrong I would like to know what my rights are

regards Agim

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this

Could you explain your situation a bit more please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

basically i worked for my former employer from 2008- 2008, my former desk boss got investigated by fsa for expenses misuse, they got banned by fsa from working in the uk in the finacial services, during the fsa investigation although few people got questioned by them , i was never called by anyone to give any statement as i was the desk junior.

Now though looks like the police unit for economic crimes are investigting them, the letter states that they are investigating my former employer with the focus being on my ex desk boss, so he wants to talk to me as a matter of priority...

Do they say they are treating you as a suspect or a witness?

Are you warned of an interview under caution?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when i called him yesterday to see what it was about or if i was under investigation, he said no as I was "small fish in the food chain", and he just wants to talk to me about the time i worked there as they had few dots they were trying to put together (whatever that might mean),

I basically dont want to go in there blind and end up incriminating myself somehow, and if there is a way for me to ask for more info from them as to what exactly it is that im required to do for them?

So does the letter comments on an interview under caution?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please see below the exact wording from the letter:

Dr Mr Sagonjeva,

My name is Steward Walker and im a detective Constable that works for Economic Crime Directorate unit; one of my current investigations involves the company formerly known as TFS with the focus of investigation being on three brokers. (xxx, xxx ,xxx),

As one of the members of the Cash Equities team at the time that the three individuals we working at TFS, I would like to speak to you about your time at the company as a matter of a priority .

I have attached at the bottom of the letter all my contact details ; however if you require further confirmation of who i am the main switchboard will supply those details.

Its always a risk with this type of thing. However, I think that you are being treated as a witness. If you were being treated as a suspect then the letter should have said that you were invited for an interview under caution and reminded you to take advice. It cannot be guaranteed that you will not turn into a suspect but when you are having to guess their intention.

If so, then you can always refuse to go. There is no offence in the UK of refusing to help the police with their enquiries. Obviously doing so may cause them to exercise their discretion against you. That is a risk but not likely really.

If you are willing to give them your assistance then you can only tell the truth and nobody can discuss your evidence with you as you would be a prosecution witness.

If they do have you in their sights as a suspect though then it would be a good idea to make a voluntary appointment. If you don't they will just come and arrest you at a time of their choosing rather than one of yours but the letter doesn't read in that way.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just received an email from the detective

please read below:

Morning Agim,

Thank you for sending me this. As I said on the phone, I am investigating three members of the Cash Equity desk from TFS and I appreciate that you were a very junior person at the time, which is actually why I wanted to speak to you as I need to find out a little bit about Rob BAILEY and Les SHACKLESFORD and your day to day activities around the general admin.

I'm not sure what impact that would have?