Hi we leased our boat to a neighbour and had to rescind the

Customer Question

Hi we leased our boat to a neighbour and had to rescind the agreement as the attacked one of our customers. This was then reported to the police. The man in question has since then been bombarding our landlord, English nature, English heritage and many other people we deal with. He has written complete lies about us to them on a site called what do they know under piel castle john warburton. He has also written lies on tripadvisor under the name of red 1 on our page piel island. He follows us around with a camera. Please look at these sites and advise us if there is anything we can do to stop him.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Have you reported this to the police?

Is he on some kind of campaign against you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he is on a campaign. We have not reported it as we don't know if he is breaking the law. Did you read the letters on what do they know?

He is breaking the law. He is harassing you.

It does not actually matter if what he is saying is true, it is still harassment if he is intending to harass you. Harassment is a “course of action” intended to harass and a course of action is more than once

You are entitled to have this stopped by reporting the matter is the police and asking them to wall the offender under the Protection from Harassment Act. Some police forces take this very seriously and others not so.

You may therefore have to speak to a senior officer or make a complaint to the police if they say that it is a civil matter. It is a civil matter what it is also a criminal matter.

There is also the issue of defamation. If what he has put is true, it cannot be defamation however if what he has put is not true and people looking at it would think worse of you from reading it and you can be identified from it, then you have a claim for compensation for defamation, libel (libel is written, slander is spoken).

I would suggest that you got a solicitor to write to him telling him to remove these posts immediately failing which you will make an application to court for an injunction to making remove the posts and you will ask the court to award the substantial court costs against him. The solicitor can also write to the websites saying the same thing.

If they are not removed you are then faced with a court application for an injunction to making remove them. If he has not remove them with the threat in the solicitor’s letter he would be remiss not to remove them once you issue proceedings. At that stage, if he does remove them, you will still be entitled to pursue him for your solicitor’s costs

Experience: Over 5 years in practice

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile