UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My fiancée lives in the USA. She does not have a job. She is

My fiancée lives in the USA. She does not have a job. She is a widow and lives with her sister, she is 54. she does not own any property.

I live in the UK. I have a job. I have a house without a mortgage and savings. I am 67

We want to get married.  We plan to eventually buy a house in the USA and live there on my pensions. I intend to apply for leave to stay in America and I will be independent of any public funds assistance. 

Where is the best place to get married , UK or USA ?....
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

It is a personal choice but the US may be a better choice if you wish to make a pre nuptial agreement specifying how each of your assets are to be divided in case of a divorce.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My US fiancée has no assets whatsoever, she is a widow. I presume a prenuptial agreement made in America would help protect my assets in the event of a divorce, and i wish to return to the Uk. Is this the advice you would give me ?. How much protection would a prenuptial agreement grant me in the US....100% ??????
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
How far have you gone with looking at the Immigration requirements for the States?
Nothing is 100% guaranteed and there are legal requirements for such Agreements to be valid for example each of you require independent legal advice etc. you should appoint a local lawyer to advise and draft one for you.

You will also need to go through the correct immigration formalities if you wish to get married in the US or if your fiancée were to come to the UK to get married, there are fiancée visas available which would enable either of you or her to get married in either country.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience