LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Is it legal to rent more than 2 properties?

Customer Question

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a lawyer with over 15 years of experience and will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

There is no law against renting more than 1 property at a time. I assume that you mean residential properties. There may be clauses in the individual leases which insist that you must occupy the property as your only or principal residence. Would you like to explain your situation a little more?

Customer:

Customer:

I am on the contract / not only by myself/ on 4 properties.

Customer:

Apart from the contracts which say that if I let other people in I will be in breach and I have to vacate the property there is nothing else

Customer:

I am curious about the council- can they fine me for being on the contracts on those 4 properties?

LondonlawyerJ :

Are these 4 properties council proprties? Are you running a business where you rent properties and then sublet at a profit?

Customer:

no, they are private properties.

Customer:

We are subleting them unlawfully

LondonlawyerJ :

Ok so yo are subletting in contravention of the terms of the tenancies which you have signed confirming that you live in the properties. Obviously you are in breach of the tenancy agreement and the landlord could take possession proceedings against you which if they were brought competently would be bound to succeed.

LondonlawyerJ :

I think you may be open to an allegation of fraud. The Fraud Act 2006 states that a person is guilty of a fraud if he dishonestly makes a false representation and intends by making the representation to make a gain for himself.

If there is evidence you deliberately entered into the tenancy agreements with your landlords intending to sublet for a profit then you might well fit within the legal definition of fraud. The false representation being that you intended to live there as a tenant. It is not possible to advise on likely sentence if convicted of fraud as the sentence is largely dependent on the value of the fraud. The guidelines can be found here. http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/web_sentencing_for_fraud_statutory_offences.pdf

I hope this answer is helpful but if you have any further questions then please ask.

What happens now? That will depend on circumstances. If your landlords don't realise what has happened then things will perhaps carry on as they are if you decide to let them. If your landlords do find out they may bring possession proceedings and may (but why would they?) tell the police who might investigate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have written agreement from the landlords but they do know that I let other people in the property and since I'm always on time with bills and rent they are more than happy and it's been like that for 2 years now.
My concern is the council....
As I am on 4 council tax bills and I don't really know if I am allowed to be on 4 council tax bills?
OK. If the landlords aren't worried and know what is going on you should be fine regarding the matters I mentioned above. You are liable to pay council tax on any properties you live in. If you make the payments I very much doubt the council will be concerned at all. There is no rule preventing you having multiple properties and paying multiple council tax.