UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My aunt arrived from India 2 days ago. She had been granted

Customer Question

My aunt arrived from India 2 days ago. She had been granted a 6 month UK VISA. However she booked her flight with only 5 days left on her VISA has was wrongly advised that her VISA would start from th edat ethat she enters The UK and not from teh date the VISA was granted and stamped.
Having spent a lot of money on flights etc she is now having to return. She has not even had a chance to meet her daughter who studies at a university in The UK.
My aunt has visited UK previously as a tourist some ten years ago.
Can anything be done..time is short
Your urgent answer is much appreciated
Nisha
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Nisha,

I am afraid not as the immigration rules are clear that visitor visas are issued for 6 months and the start and end dates are written on the visas. The fact that she was wrongly advised does not change the immigration laws I am afraid.

She should not overstay her visa as she is liable to be detained and refused entry to the UK in the future for several years.

She may take a risk and overstay for up to 28 days after her visa expires, but I would not advise her to do so.

Hope this helps