Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have been asked to have a Satisfaction Of Mortgage note to

Customer Question

I have been asked to have a Satisfaction Of Mortgage note to be signed and Notarized

The document is from "State Bar of Wisconsin" USA

can this be Noarized in England or will have to Notarized in the USA

Kind regard XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

For the avoidance of doubt this is a document that has been requested to confirm a mortgage has been repaid to you and satisfied. Is this correct please?

Customer:

No i have not been paid the back in to my account as yet when the money is paid shall i have the said document

Customer:

can this be signed here in england

Joshua :

thank you. Notarisation is far more popular in the US than it is in the UK. However documents can be notarised in the UK and legalised the purposes of acceptance in the United States. Do you know precisely what Wisconsin law requires in terms of notarisation? Doesn't require that the document is certified as having been signed by you for example?

Customer:

What is stated "I needyou to sign a release of the lien on the house" State Bar of Wisconsin Form 29-2003 i think i understand what you are saying if i can get it notarisation signed in england then i am ok with your reply thank you

Joshua :

providing you obtain clear instructions as to precisely the requirements in Wisconsin of what is required in terms of notarisation then there is no reason this cannot be carried out in the UK. Any solicitor is also a notary however all this particular type of work, depending upon the exact requirements as above, you may well require a notary public. A notary public is a notary who has undertaken specialist further training particularly with regards XXXXX XXXXX documents and should have difficulty in completing your requirements.

Joshua :

It may be necessary after having the document notarised, to legalise the document under the Hague Convention which the USA is a signatory to. This is a simple process whereby the document sent to the UK foreign office for legalisation and return. You may wish to seek confirmation from the US lawyer or party you are dealing with as to whether this would be required to comply with Wisconsin's state law.

Joshua :

If you need to find a notary public you can find one using the following link (the website seems to be down right a t this moment but shouldn't be for long):
http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/find-a-notary

Joshua :

Is there anything else i can help you with?

Joshua :

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help with any further?

Customer:

Yes thank you for your assistance