UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Does ones solicitor have a duty of care to report another

Does one's solicitor have a duty of care to report another solicitor regarding forgery to the SLA rather than use this knowledge to my advantage in negotiation of payment of my fees
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am owed medical fees from a solicitor. I am taking the solicitor to court. Meanwhile we have found out that the solicitor has provided a forged file note suggesting that terms of engagement have been changed. File note is dated in 2008 but actually written in 2013. This would be extremely useful to persuade solicitor to pay up but there is a duty to inform on colleagues that engage in incorrect procedures.

There is arguably a moral obligation on the Solicitor's colleagues to report the matter to the SRA but no legal obligation to do so.

The SRA takes such cases of dishonesty very seriously and solicitors have been struck off the roll of solicitors in such cases.

Obviously, the case against the solicitor will have to be proven.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Morally yes legally no. Fine settle then shoot!

Welcome.