29905560

Hi How do I stop someone from saying defamatory remarks

How do I stop someone from saying defamatory remarks about me in a public place.

I do not want to confront them as I do not like conflict.

But I would like them to stop.

NB: This might happen tomorrow, and I am trying to prepare in my mind for the eventuality.

Is there a legal stance I can take at the time?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. If you do not wish to confront them how exactly would you try to deal with this because it is usually done by discussing this with the person

Customer:

Perhaps you are right I need to take them to a quiet corner of the restaurant and discuss it with them if indeed the eventuality occurs.

Ben Jones :

what do you hink would happen?

Ben Jones :

think

Customer:

I do not lose my temper but my speech becomes stressed and I cannot form a sensible argument

Customer:

The person is forceful and loud, and can be quite nasty

Customer:

>The other person<

Customer:

I am having dinner out, and I think the other party knows where I will be and will come and make a scenew

Customer:

>scene<

Ben Jones :

Whilst you cannot prevent someone from saying anything they want to, the best way to try and resolve this is to have a private word beforehand, rather than try to challenge them publicly and in front of everyone else. That would be the first step anyway. If that does not help and they still proceed with the comments, you could try and challenge them at the time, hoping that others who are there will realise what they are doing and come to your defence, which could make this person stop making the comments. But legally you cannot really prevent someone from making such comments, not unless you get some injunction from a court but this is too complex for this stage.

Customer:

Thank you Ben. I will hope then that the person does not come. I might just have to beat a hasty retreat.

Ben Jones :

play it by ear, if needed you may do that and try to think what's best for you rather than seeking confrontation

Customer:

OK - Thanks again